Sunil Gavaskar's Strategic Input for T20 World Cup: Emphasizing IPL Form and Player Morale Boost

Rohit Sharma and Virat Kohli together
Sunil Gavaskar's Strategic Input for T20 World Cup

In a recent discussion about Team India's T20 World Cup preparations, cricket legend Sunil Gavaskar has proposed a unique strategy if star batters Rohit Sharma and Virat Kohli face a challenging IPL season.

Gavaskar emphasized the importance of IPL form as a key factor in player selection for the upcoming T20 World Cup, considering the limited time remaining before the mega-event.

"I feel the IPL form will be crucial because that will be the current form. The Afghanistan series is in January. The World Cup is in June. "If a player demonstrates good form in March, April, and May, Gavaskar emphasized the importance of giving them primary consideration in team selection," as stated in an interview with Star Sports.

Gavaskar went on to suggest a novel approach, highlighting the potential inclusion of Rohit Sharma and Virat Kohli in the team, even if their IPL performance is not extraordinary. He stressed the significance of their experience and suggested that, in case they are not part of the playing 14 (15), they could still travel with the team.

"I will also say that, it's an out-of-the-box suggestion; you can take them along with the team as well if you cannot pick them in the 14 (15) because of their experience. Gavaskar further added, "Imagine the boost in team confidence if Rohit Sharma and Virat Kohli are in the dugout."

This unconventional idea aims to leverage the senior players' expertise and leadership qualities to boost team morale, even if their on-field contributions during the IPL are limited. Gavaskar's perspective adds an interesting dimension to the discussion around Team India's T20 World Cup squad formation.

In the meantime, as India gears up to face Afghanistan in the first T20I at Mohali, Virat Kohli will be absent from the game due to personal reasons. The outcome of the ongoing series and the subsequent IPL performances will likely play a crucial role in shaping the final squad for the T20 World Cup.